Teddy Sheringham
League (incl Playoffs) FA Cup League Cup  Other Cups Final Placing
1982/83 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1 - Div 3 17th
1983/84 4 3 1 1 - - 1 - - - - - 1 2 - 1 Div 3 9th
1984/85 - - - - - - - - - 1 - 0 - - - - Div 3 2nd P
1985/86 9 9 3 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - Div 2 9th
1986/87 42 - - 13 3 - - 0 3 - - 2 2 - - 1 Div 2 16th
1987/88 43 - 1 22 1 - - 0 4 - - 0 3 - - 2 Div 2 1st P
1988/89 33 - 1 11 2 - - 1 3 - - 3 2 - - 0 Div 1 10th
1989/90 28 3 - 9 3 - - 2 3 - - 1 - - - - Div 1 20th R
1990/91 48 - - 33 3 - - 2 3 - - 2 1 - - 1 Div 2 5th
Totals 207 15 6 93 12 0 1 5 16 1 0 8 9 2 1 5
League (incl Playoffs) FA Cup League Cup  Other Cups Final Placing

Millwall Debut: 

 15th Jan 1984 Div 3 v Brentford (H) L 1-2

Overall 244 18 8 111       Last Game: 22nd May 1991 Div2 Playoff v Brighton (H) L 1-2
Full Name: Edward Paul Sheringham
Birthplace: Highams Park
Birthdate: 2 April 1966
Height: 5ft 11ins 
Weight: 12st 5lbs 
Position: Striker 
Scoring ratio: League: 0.42 goals per game. 
All: 0.42 goals per game.
Ever Present: Twice: Seasons 1986/87 & 1990/91
Top Scorer Seasons: 1986/87, 1987/88, 
1988/89 & 1990/91
International Honours: England Youth U21 and B
Loaned out to Aldershot - February 1985
Loaned to Djurgarden (Sweden) April - Oct 85
Div 2 Championship: 1987/88
Winner Football League Trophy: 1982/83
Relegated from Division 1 1989/90
Hattricks (6): v Huddersfield (H) 13/12/86, 
v WBA (A) 26/12/87, v WBA (H) 6/10/90, 
v Charlton (H) 10/4/91, v Bristol C (A) 27/4/91
4 Gls v Plymouth (H) 16/2/91
Player of the Year 1990-91
Sold to Notts Forest 2,000,000 - July 1991
  Oh Teddy Teddy, He went to Man U and won the lot. 

Teddy Sheringham holds the distinction of achieving the most of all ex-Lions, Winning League Championships, The FA Cup, The ZDS Cup, The European Champions League and winning over 50 England Caps and appearing  in two World Cup Finals Tournaments . He also has to go down as the most successful in a Millwall shirt, being the club record goal scorer (untill Neil Harris broke his record!) and having a Second Division Championship medal and  having played top flight football.

Teddy, never blessed with pace developed from a first rate target man to a stylish and Intelligent playmaker who would bring out the best in his strike partners.

Teddy almost missed out on a career in professional football, having had trials at Tottenham, Orient and Palace as a youngster without being snapped up. Just before his 16th Birthday he played for Isthmian League side Leyton and Ilford in a Youth Team game v Millwall. Chief Scout Bob Pearson and Youth Team Manager Roger Cross invited Teddy for a six game trial and he impressed enough to be offered a two year apprenticeship. During this apprenticeship, Teddy won 11 England Youth Caps and regularly scored goals in the Midweek League and Football Combination.

Teddy was to get an early taste of silverware when selected for The Millwall squad to take part in London Evening Standard Five a Side tournament.  Although Roger Wynter and Andy Massey were the stars of the show in wining Millwall team, Teddy played his part in all the games. As a reward, Teddy, Roger Wynter and John Neal were named amongst the five subs for the Football League Trophy Final against Lincoln, which Millwall won 3-2. With Millwall battling against  relegation to the Fourth Division that season, there was no opportunity to blood youngsters in league games, so Teddy had to bide his time.

The Victorious Millwall team celebrate their Wembley success with England -manager Bobby Robson (back, second left) and Standard editor Louis Kirby (back, second right).  The Millwall Line up: (left to right back row) Andy Massey-the skipper, Paul Sansome, Alan McLeary, (front row) John Neal, Roger Wynter and Teddy Sheringham.  Standard Picture: Stuart Robinson

After being named as sub against Dartford in the FA Cup in November, Teddy made his debut against Brentford at the Den on the 15th January 1984. He scored his first senior goal the next weekend away at Bournemouth. Teddy, describing the goal said, "I was in the corner of the six yard box, controlled the ball, cut inside with my right foot and shot low and hard from about 8 yards."  Teddy was to make a total of 4 league starts and 3 Sub appearances that season. It was in the AM Cup where Teddy scored his other goal, an extra time winner in the 4-3 win over Gillingham at the Den.

The next season, 1984/85, where Millwall won Promotion to Division 2, was to see Teddy restricted to just one appearance for the Millwall first team, as sub against Chelsea in the Milk Cup. Clashes with First Team manager George Graham threaten his Millwall career almost before it had started with Graham trying to get Teddy to cut out the flash stuff. 

"I was a flash kid in those days, a real showboater with a repertoire of all flicks and touches. I wasn't interested in scoring boring goals, they had to come from benders into the top corner, or chipping the keeper or something, when they came off, they looked great, but the trouble was they didn't come off too often. George Graham soon got hold of me and told me in no uncertain terms to cut out the fancy frills. He used to drum it into me until I was sick of it. I'm ashamed to say that I thought I knew best. But finally George reached the limits of his patience and gave me a right roasting if I tried the classy shots at goal even in training. The other players told me the manager couldn't stand the sight of me. So conceited was I, I didn't appreciate that he was trying to teach me a valuable lesson."

After being offered to Brentford for a transfer fee of 5,000, Teddy had an unsuccessful loan spell at Fourth Division Aldershot. It was to be real low point for Teddy who said: "It was good for me, I suppose, to have gone to Aldershot for a couple of months. But it was a trying interlude, in which I played six games, scored not a solitary goal and got clattered from pillar to post in every one and I seriously began to doubt if I was going to make it in football."

On his return to Millwall, Teddy confided in reserve team boss Roger Cross his despair: "I didn't know where I was going wrong, people were playing me offside and I wasn't getting involved in games. He said not to worry, I was doing all right. There would be games I wouldn't get involved in; that was the way of the world for strikers. If I kept plugging away I would be OK. I listened to what Roger said and realised that it made a lot of sense. I began to think that perhaps there was a future for me after all, even if I was playing for a Manager who disliked me intensely."

Teddy was soon packed off by Graham on a further loan spell to Stockholm club Djurgarden in the Swedish Second Division. The Swedish season ran from April to October and Djurgarden played in the Olympic Stadium. It turned out to be a great move for Teddy,  helping him to grow up and for some of the lessons that George Graham had been drumming into him to finally sink in.  "On the field, I quickly came to understand that in being paid to win games for my team, I was playing not only for my livelihood but those of my team-mates as well. You must never, ever forget that when you are a professional footballer. You have a responsibility to yourself, of course, but you also owe something to the lads you play alongside. When you're playing for money that can make a difference to people's lives, we got 40 for draw and 80 for a win, you really try to win every time you set foot on the pitch. For the first time, the importance of what George Graham had been telling me began to dawn on me. It truly didn't matter how you got the ball in the back of the net." 

Teddy was top scorer with 13 goals in 21 games and helped Djurgarden win the Division 2 North title which got them into a two legged playoff with GAIS from Gothenburg. The first leg ended 0-0 and Teddy scored in the second leg to take the game into extra time and eventually to a penalty shoot out. Teddy scored one of the spot kicks that helped Djurgarden win promotion.

On his return to Millwall, George Graham must of liked the change in Teddy's attitude and game and used him more often, mainly as sub, but towards the end of the season gave him a good run in the team. His season totals were Nine League starts, Nine sub appearances and Four goals, including a brace against Bradford and a 'classy' curler against Palace.

Season 1986/87  was a one of change for Millwall, Chairman Alan Thorne sold out in the summer to a consortium led by Reg Burr and Manager George Graham left for the Arsenal. The new board was only installed in July and appointed Brentford Assistant Manager John Docherty as Manger, who admitted that by then all the good players available had been snapped up. The squad had been weakened with the departure of Fashanu, Lowndes, Wilson and injury to Lovell. This left Teddy and Michael Marks, recalled on the recommendation of Bob Pearson after being released on a free transfer, as the first choice strike pairing, with John Leslie as competition. Docherty was able to bring in a few new faces, Danis Salman from Brentford for 20,000. Dave Mehmet for 25,000 and David Byrne for 5,000 both from Gillingham.

After a poor start which saw Millwall in the bottom three after nine games with a defeat at Palace in October, Millwall's form improved with Michael Marks notably becoming the youngest Millwall player to score a hattrick in a League game, coming against Shrewsbury at the Den. For a while Millwall flirted with the newly introduced playoff zone, however they fell away late in the season and were only assured of safety after a 1-1 draw against Sunderland, courtesy of a Michael Marks goal in the penultimate game. Teddy blossomed that season, scoring 16 goals in an ever present season, which included an hattrick at home to Huddersfield in December, followed by a three month drought broken at Shrewsbury in March. After spending 400,000 to bring the ground up GLC's safety regulations, in February the board started spending money on the team, bringing in Terry Hurlock from Reading for 95,000, Jimmy Carter for 15,000 from QPR and Gerry Armstrong on loan from Brighton.  

Teddy v Paul Dyson of West Brom 1987

"I established myself as a first choice player in my first season under Docherty and it was a pretty steep learning curve. The club was a bit strapped for cash, I think. It must have been, because otherwise we would never have persisted with our main strike pairing. I spent that season playing up front with Michael Marks who was only Eighteen. I had played fewer than a dozen first team games myself and I was the experienced one, for goodness' sake, trying to bring this boy along. It was a peculiar feeling. It was a real dogfight against relegation all season.  We had to battle like fury to save ourselves from going back down to Division Three after only two seasons. I scored Thirteen goals in the league and Michael scored Ten. Talk about boys doing men's jobs. It worked, though - just.  We stayed up, if only by the skin of our teeth."

For Season 87/88 the Board showed ambition and brought in top notch players in an all out effort for promotion. Millwall splashed out on Kevin O'Callaghan (80,000 from Portsmouth), Steve Wood (Tribunal assessed 80,000 from Reading) Tony Cascarino (225,000 from Gillingham) and George Lawrence (160,000 from Southampton).

"For me the strengthening of the side was great for two reasons: First it meant that I would be playing alongside better players and secondly, their arrival would take a bit of the burden off my shoulders ."

Teddy 1987/88

After a slow start Sheringham and Cascarino formed a lethal partnership that won Millwall the Division Two Championship and brought Millwall First Division football for the first time in their history. After a dip in form, Teddy had become, for a short while, the target of the Millwall Boo Boys, his name being booed when the team line up was announced but he turned it around to pip Cascarino for top scorer with 24 to 23 goals. Teddy was then called up into The England B squad and won a cap alongside teammate Alan McLeary v Switzerland in Lausanne in May 1988. 

In his Autobiography, Teddy talks how his game started develop. "I probably started to become the player I am today at quite a young age. For Instance, in our successful days at Millwall, the guys used to play long balls to me or Tony Cascarino - We both had the ability to win the ball in the air. The bigger of the centre halves used to pick up Cas and the smaller one used to pick me up. It was a pretty direct route, but even then, I used to like to come off my marker by 10 or 15 yards, link thinks up and go on from there. It was natural for me to do that; certainly no manager ever told me to play that way. They didn't tell not to either, which is just as well seeing how my career and my role in various teams developed." 

"It was a terrific team for the level we were playing at. Tony played alongside me, we had some quality on the left wing in O'Callaghan and Lawrence was an experienced hand coming in on the right flank. We also had Terry Hurlock and Les Briley in the middle - perfect performers for our style of football. Steve Wood and Alan McLeary were an effective pairing at centre back, two clever, thinking players who were great readers situations. They were never eye-catching, but they did a fine job for us. Right back Keith Stevens was very solid - nobody used to get past him while Nicky Coleman at left back, who had come through the youth ranks with me, was a highly competent player. Brian Horne in goal completed a team that was perfectly balanced for the job it was employed to do."

"I think the moment we finally convinced ourselves that promotion was just round the corner was on a cold Tuesday night at Elland Road at the beginning of April. We knew we had to win and it was a daunting prospect. Leeds were a First Division club which had come down and we were a little team that dragged ourselves up from the lower reaches of the Second Division. We beat them 2-1 and there was an amazing feeling in the dressing room after the game. We'd had to defend like fury, but we had all stuck together with a feeling of common purpose, the sort of feeling that comes only from playing a lot with the same group of people and wanting to do it for each other."

Teddy and Cascarino Millwall stuck by the squad that won promotion for their first season in the top flight. The only addition was old boy Neil Ruddock signed from Spurs. Millwall got off to a great start and topped the table at the beginning of October after beating QPR 3-2 at the Den. 

"It was a crazy exhilarating time. There we were, little Millwall, in our first season in the First Division and topping the table until about March. Everybody said it couldn't last and of course it couldn't and it didn't, but we gave them all a good run for their money. We were beating the best teams when we shouldn't and getting away draws to which we had no right."

"Our average wage was about 450 a week, which the club couldn't increase in case we went straight back down again, a big wage bill in the Second Division would have sent the club to the wall. So the management compensated us by putting us on a fantastic bonus scheme. Our appearance amounted to 200 and we had crowd bonus, branded according to the attendance. The  

ground at that time held 23,000 and if we filled it we got another 450. After our good start at home to Derby, the ground was full for the next home game and with the appearance money, win bonus and crowd bonus on top of my basic wage, I took home nearly 1,650 that week. I had never know such riches before. Two years earlier I had been on 110 a week. We needed to go on playing well if we were going to earn good money. We did too and we kept the crowds coming for most of the season."

Although Cascarino got most of plaudits for goal scoring in Millwall's first Division One campaign, Teddy finished as Joint top scorer on 15 Goals. Teddy was sent off for the first time in his professional Career when he mistimed a challenge on Terry Phelan of Wimbledon, who went down like the proverbial sack of spuds and all those nice chaps of Wimbledon buzzed around like flies around shit intimidating the ref into a harsh straight red Card. Manager John Docherty complained that afterwards Phelan then limped around at 100 mph. 

The 1-0 Easter Monday defeat at Home to Wimbledon following a 1-1 draw at Everton, where the Lions were denied a win due to the usual Merkyside penalty effectively ended Millwall's  Championship challenge that had seen Millwall pretty much a feature in the top three since mid September. With the last 10 games yielding just 4 points, Millwall slipped to a disappointing 10th in the final table. 

"Gradually, the feeling that perhaps we had gone as far as we could that year permeated the team. Perhaps the adrenaline had faded a bit; perhaps we were simply exhausted. It would have been great to finish in the top three or four, but in the closing weeks of the seasons we were losing games we would have won earlier on. And once we started to struggle, there was no stopping the rot. It wasn't a bad season by any means, but we were disappointed nonetheless. After the way we had played through the dark days of mid-winter, we honestly felt we were capable of finishing in at least the top three."

"I must have been reasonably successful at the Millwall style, because I remember Terry Hurlock coming back from an England B game and over a couple of beers one night, telling me, 'Ted, none of them have got what you've got. You can do it if you want to, you know.' 

I really admired Terry - he was a superb, clever player and had a great character - and it meant a lot to me that he'd taken the trouble to tell me that. He didn't have to say it and he wasn't the sort to butter you up for the sake of it, so I felt I should take his words seriously and really go for it." 

After being the surprise package of the First Division the previous season, Millwall were to find it harder going in the second season. Millwall started well and twice topped the table briefly after drawing at Wimbledon and beating Coventry 4-1 at the Den. It was a to be a disappointing season for Teddy who was to suffer injury, relegation and find goals hard to come by. The Injury, damaged ankle ligaments,  came in the game against QPR in November, keeping Teddy on the sidelines till a dramatic return with a goal as Sub at Forest then a one man demolition job on Man City in the FA Cup third round second replay.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that my absence was the reason we had done badly over Christmas and the New Year, because after I came back we went seventeen league games without a win. I scored a couple of goals in a 3-1 victory over Manchester City in the FA Cup, but we kept getting beaten in the league and my ankle was still not quite right. I had to miss another five games in all, which didn't help. We had a couple of injuries to key players in that disastrous spell, but we couldn't honestly blame our poor record on that. If you're going to survive at the highest level in English football you have to have a squad that is strong enough in depth to take you through the lean times. Ours wasn't. We just didn't have the back up. The slide, when it came, was awful and irrevocable. Once we were into it there seemed nothing we could do to get ourselves out of it."

By this time Docherty had bought Paul Goddard for a club record 800,000 to halt Millwall's decline to the bottom of the Division, but this meant Cascarino playing on the left wing accommodate him. Following Millwall's cup exit to Fourth Division Cambridge Utd and a home defeat to Man Utd, Docherty was sacked and Bob Pearson appointed as Caretaker to the end of the season. This did not halt the decline and with Cascarino's departure to Aston Villa in March, for 1.5m, Millwall's goal scoring problems worsened. Teddy added only one more to his tally to finish as top scorer with 12 Goals in all competitions and in the last 20 league games Millwall scored only 13 Goals, and never more than 1 in any game, failing to win any of them.

Pearson brought in Malcolm Allen (400,000 from Norwich) and Mick McCarthy (loan from Lyon) in March but could not halt the slide. Bruce Rioch was appointed manager after relegation was confirmed after a defeat at Derby and he set about restoring the squads shattered confidence to attempt to bounce straight back to the First Division.

The significant departure was Terry Hurlock to Rangers for 375,000 on the eve of the season and arrivals were Coach Steve Harrison and midfielder Alex Rae (100,000 from Falkirk) and striker Jon Goodman (30,000 from Bromley)

"Steve proved he was a very good coach, he had an uncanny knack of getting inside people's minds. There is a lot of applied psychology in football and Steve was brilliant at building up peoples confidence. He laughed and joked with the best of them, but when he got down to work, he was one of the finest coaches I've ever had for getting situations and people right. Although he had been a left back himself, he obviously had a soft spot for strikers, because he put on some of the best shooting practices I've ever seen, so good that a lot of us would go back in the afternoons for another shooting session."

"We started that first season back in the hurly-burly of Second Division football playing in a completely different style from the one that seen us relegated. We had always been used to smashing the ball up long, but Bruce wanted quality balls so that the front players could get hold of it and control it. It was a total change, one that we all responded to."

"If I had moved on after we were relegated. I might have ended playing the Docherty way for the rest of my career. Instead Bruce insisted that we had enough good players to get the ball down, enjoy the game and play it how it should be played at the top level. He was a Second Division manager with First Division ideas and that was no bad thing for every player on Millwall's books. All of a sudden I was enjoying my football again, Bruce and Steve had been a real shot in the arm for my own game. Bruce was so committed to football, so straight-down-the-line and so intense, you couldn't help but be affected by it. Yet again I had a good manager at the right time."

"Talk about lucky Sheringham. Under almost every manger I've had I became a better player. To find now that the whole approach of the team was going to be geared around me was absolutely marvelous and it was to be the best season I've ever had in term of goal scoring. I think left to my own devices, once I beat my pervious best tally of 24, I might have eased off a bit, content to have set a new personal record. But Steve wasn't prepared to let me stop there. He coached me using a very subtle technique that didn't fall far short of brain washing. He would sit along side me in the dressing room muttering, urging, cajoling drilling his words into me quietly but insistently, repetitively, into my ear. 'Come one, I want another goal from you and once you got one I want two, come on don't let it slip now'. I couldn't have done it without Steve Harrison's help. The way he worked on me verged on the masterly."

Teddy and Malcolm were to terrorise Second Division defences in the first half of the season. Rookie Striker Jon Goodman was drafted into the first team to partner Teddy in the new year and with his pace to worry the opposition defence Teddy went on a real scoring spree,  scoring 20 in 23 League games to bring his tally to 33 League Goals and 38 in total, breaking Possee's league scoring record of 79 goals, Possee's record of 87 League and Cup Goals and Carver's all time record of 99 Senior Goals. Millwall could only finish fifth in the table and lost out to Brighton in the Playoffs. Teddy had won the Player of the Year Trophy and Golden Boot and named in the PFA Division Two X1.

Teddy in Various Millwall Kits 1990/91

"In the end we fell just short, but we had made the playoffs and we were so confident that we thought we must prevail. We finished fifth in the League, but we reckoned we got the best of the lot in Brighton. If we were guilty of anything it was perhaps being a bit overconfident. We thought we would walk it. We were wrong."

"Although we had fallen at the final hurdle, part of me still wanted to have another crack at the job in 1991-92. I felt that if I spent another season at Millwall it would not be time wasted if we achieved our ambitions. On the other hand I knew that If my career was going progress, I should not spend another season in Division Two. Steve Harrison had been working with Graham Taylor, the England Manager and had told me that I was close to an England call-up. I agonised over my decision for ages. My heart was telling me one thing and my head another, but in the end I knew that, sadly there was no choice. I had just turned twenty-five, I needed a higher standard of football if my career was to progress. I felt that the time had come for me to part company with the club that had given me my chance in professional football."

Teddy turned down the new contract offered to him at Millwall, stating he needed to play in the Top Division to pursue his International ambitions, he also turned down a move to Second Division Blackburn to join Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest for a club record fee of 2,000,000 in July 1991.


Above: See all 38 of Teddy's goals from his last season at Millwall




  The Millwall History Files    The Millwall Story since the early 1980's         [Home]  [Contents]  [Links]   [Search]