Injury jinx hits Lions 


MILLWALL fear they will again be without 160,000 striker George Lawrence and 80,000 defender Steve Wood for their Second Division trip to Manchester City tonight. And manager John Docherty under pressure to produce a promotion winning team after his summer buying spree admits: "It's not quite come together yet."

Docherty says: "We will have a few walking wounded at Maine Road tonight".

To add to his problems, brilliant young defender, Alan McLeary, is still at least a fort-night away from fitness following a knee ligament injury. But Docherty says: 
"I am still confident we can achieve our ambitions this season."

"But if we can pick up a result tonight and in another difficult away game at Sheffield United on Saturday it will set us up nicely for the Littlewoods Cup tie against QPR the following Wednesday."

  Lions Are Mauled
THE Lions left Maine Road with their pride and their promotion ambitions severely dented after this four-goal mauling by City's talented teenagers. 

But it might have been quite a different story if John Docherty's new-look side had managed to tuck away one of the string of chances they created before a brilliant solo effort by Ian Scott provided City with a springboard
to victory.

MAN. CITY (2) 4 MILLWALL (0) 0
Scott 23, Gidman 34, White 64, Stewart 90
Att: 15,430
Much-maligned City keeper Eric Nixon made a superb stop from Millwall's George ! Lawrence and also frustrated Tony Cascarino and Teddy Sheringham as the Lions made a lively start.

But in the 23rd minute Ian Scott broke the deadlock and Millwall's hearts when he ran on to an intelligent through ball and cooly rounded Brian Home to open the scoring.

From that moment on City took control and veteran defender John Gidman put them further ahead - after a bizarre piece of refereeing

 from George Courtney.

When Danis Salman bundled Paul Stewart over inside the box it looked odds on a penalty, but for reasons best known to himself Mr. Courtney awarded an indirect free kick almost on the penalty spot. 

Justice was seen to be done when Neil McNab tapped the ball sideways for Gidman to blast home. 

City 's rampant teenagers - there are five in the side - ended any possibility of a Millwall fightback in 

the 63rd minute, when White bundled the ball over the line for number three.

And Stewart, who had tormented the Millwall defence all night, got the goal he deserved right on full time after calmly skipping past three challenges.

"After they scored their first goal City started to look much more confident, but if we had tucked away one of our chances and forced them to fight from behind I think we could have nicked it," said Docherty afterwards.

 Horne ***
 Stevens ***
 Sparham ***
 Hurlock ****
 Walker ***
 Salman ***
 Lawrence ****
 Briley ***
 Sheringham ****
 Cascarino ****
 O 'Callaghan ***
 Sub: Byrne (for Sheringham ***)
 Referee: George Courtney.
 Match rating: 4.
  Great Scott Fires City
IAN SCOTT, Manchester City's 19-year-old newcomer, hit his third goal in four games to help crush Millwall last night.

Though City won well in the end there could have been a totally different story if Eric Nixon had not underlined a vote of confidence with an inspiring save from George Lawrence after 17 minutes.

It was left to Scott to keep a cool head and give City
a 22nd minute lead. After scorching through MilIwall's ragged defence, Imre Varadi's pass was perfect and Scott tapped in.

 Manchester City 4, Millwall 0
John Gidman scored the second following an indirect free kick the 34th minute.

City had moments on the knife edge notably when Nixon save from Tony Cascarino and David White had to clear off the line from Millwall's danger man.

White made sure with the third at the far post from a Paul Stewart cross, and then Stewart scored the goal of the night in the last minute of an exciting game.

  Stewart seals City spree
By Derek Hodgson
Manchester City 4 Millwall 0
THE Second Division has been a disappointment so far. We all like to see Barnsley or Plymouth Argyle prosper but we also know it is Aston Villa or Manchester City who will eventually embellish the higher order. City had shown little firepower before this result, while Millwall, with a good defensive record, were turned upside down, looking comfortable only when they were attacking.

Playing with great zest for a team who are scoring barely a goal a game, City had the ball in Millwall's net twice only for the whistle to be blown for infringements. Millwall, with the tall Tony Cascarino prominent, often looked the more dangerous from far fewer attacks as George Lawrence confirmed with his sudden break and cross-shot that had Eric Nixon stretching.

The crowd were beginning to grumble when, in the 22nd minute, Millwall's back four were caught square. Ian Scott picked up an interception and ran free into the area to score.

Heavy pressure led to the second goal in 34 minutes when Paul Stewart was bowled over in the Millwall area. The referee surprisingly awarded an indirect free kick, Neil McNab tapping to John Gidman to drive through the wall.
Millwall could have pulled one back on the interval when David White cleared Cascarino's header from under the bar. Cascarino's partnership with Tony Sheringham showed an excellent understanding and provided Kevin O'Callaghan with another chance, which Nixon parried.

City soon resumed control, putting the crowd in high, good humour as both Stewart and Imre Varadi emphasised City's superiority. The third goal came in the 64th minute when White touched in a low cross from Stewart.
The Millwall contingent in the 15,430 crowd, who are normally ultra-loyal, were unhappy enough to start a slow handclap. Stewart was booked for a silly display of dissent, the only incident to mar a celebratory night on Kippax Street, crowned by the fourth goal which came after a solo run by Stewart right on time.

Manchester City: Nixon; Gidman, Hinchcliffe, Lake, Simpson, Redmond, White, Stewart, Varadi, Scott, McNab. Substitutes: Clements, Barnes.
Millwall: Horne; Stevens, Sparham, Hurlock, Walker, Salman, Lawrence, Briley, Sheringham (Byrne, 60), Cascarino, O'Callaghan Subsititute (not used):Thompson.
Referee: George Courtney (Co Durham)

  Doc pinpoints the flaws
by Steve Stammers
MILLWALL manager John Docherty was today reminding his players of the lessons learned in the emphatic defeat at Maine Road.

His objective is to get the promotion bandwagon back on the road after the confidence-sapping 4-0 setback against Manchester City.

Millwall have two days to rectify the flaws in their game "before they face another potentially difficult examination in the north of England at Sheffield United.

Millwall 's defence struggled to combat the pace and power of City's front line and of Paul Stewart in particular. Stewart got one of the goals and John Gidman, Ian Scott and David White completed the scoring. "We let City get off to a good start and they got better and better through that. We knew that was a danger and owe talked about it before-hand,"
said Docherty.

"They still dominated us though - just as Bradford City did a couple of weeks ago. We is mustn't let teams impose themselves on us. we've got to try to do it to them.

"Unless we put that right, then we're going to lose too often away from home. And I don't want us to become a team that basically wins at home and loses away.

  The Millwall History Files    The Millwall Story since the early 1980's         [Home]  [Contents] [Links]   [Search]