Home 1987/88 Previous Next
Season Opener: Middlesbrough Away
Sean Steals the Show

Middlesbrough 1-1 Millwall
Goals: Sheringham (28) Stephens (75)

By Rob Bowden at Ayresome Park

MILLWALL'S big-money signings Tony
Cascarino and George Lawrence found
themselves upstaged by a fresh-faced
teenager making his Football League
debut at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

Sean Sparham, thrown in at the deep end because of injuries to Nick Coleman and Danis Salman, performed with maturity way beyond his 18 years as Millwall kicked off their 1987-88 campaign in promising fashion.

An excellent debut by a very promising youngster,"was how Lions manager John Docherty summed up Sparham's performance after striding onto the pitch to give the teenage full back a congratulatory hug.

"I am delighted to have come up here and got a result, although I felt that we carved out enough chances to have won the match."

Veteran striker Archie Stephens' 75th minute equaliser may have taken the edge off Millwall's afternoon, but there were enough encouraging signs here to suggest that Docherty's men can make an impact on the Second Division promotion race.

Lawrence's hustling, bustling style looks certain to make him a big favourite with the Den fans and Cascarino showed flashes of the skill which brought him 30 goals and an Eire International call up last season.

David Byrne and Teddy Sheringham got through a phenomenal amount of work on the flanks and Alan McLeary and Alan Walker performed with their customary efficiency at the heart of the defence.

The only disappointing note came when Dave Mehmet, plagued by a hamstring injury for much of last season, was forced to limp off dejectedly after 27 minutes with a calf strain.

But that setback was swept aside a minute later with a goal that had Docherty leaping out of his dug-out and punching the air in a rare show of emotion.

Terry Hurlock's stubborn persistence in midfield won him a ball he really had no right to and when Tony Mowbray made a hash of trying to clear his cross, Teddy Sheringham cut inside coolly before firing past Steve Pears.

It was no more than Millwall deserved for their first half dominance, but the picturechanged dramatically after the break.

Lions 'keeper Brian Home was greeted by a hail of missiles from the louts behind his goal and after a trouble free first 45 minutes Millwall's reigning player-of-the-year suddenly found himself at the centre of the action.

First he tipped a Bernie Slaven cross over the bar, then he sprawled to his left to block a stinging shot from Gary Parkinson, as newly promoted Middlesbrough equaliser.

Hurlock, almost inevitably became the first Millwall player to receive one of the newly installed yellow cards,when his tigerish tackling finally upset referee Mr. Fitzharris in the 54th minute.

And Sparham came to Millwall's rescue with a superb saving header under pressure from Stephens as Boro buried their first half nerves and threatened to take control.

Millwall battled their way upfield just longenough for Lawrence to have a savage shot brilliantly saved by Pears and for and Sheringham to send a neat far post header whistling into the side netting.

But the Lions luck finally run out a quarter of an hour from the end when Mr. Fitzharris, who had shown a refreshing understanding of the 'advantage' rule all afternoon, allowed Slaven to play on after Gary Hamilton had been flattened by a combination of Briley and Byrne.

Slaven picked out Stephens with a pin point cross and the Middlesbrough marksman, who according to his manager Bruce Rioch has been suffering from 'old age' during Boro' pre-season training, powered a diving header past Horne with the athleticism of a 16-year-old.

RATINGS: Horne *****, Stevens ***, Sparham *****, Hurlock ***, Walker ***, McLeary ****, Lawrence ***, Mehmet ***, Sheringham ****, Cascarino **, Byrne ****,
Sub: Briley (for Mehmet 27) ***
Sub not used: Morgan

Middlesbrough: Pears, Glover, Cooper, Mowbray, Parkinson, Paillister, Slaven, Stephens, Hamilton, Kerr, Ripley.
Subs (not used) Kernaghan, Proudlock.

Referee: T Fitzharris. Bookings: Hurlock

Attendance 11,535.

Match Rating 4
Byrned Out
Middlesbrough 1, Millwall 1

By Steve Edwards

Middlesbrough cashed in with a goal that got them out ofjail as Millwall found out the hard way crime doesn't pay.

Millwall became the victims of their own over eagerness to hold on to all three points when industrious midfielder Byrne tried too hard to stop the lively Hamilton in his tracks.

Hamilton was sent crashing by the kamikaze tackle, but the eagle-eyed ref played advantage and allowed Slaven to centre for Stephens to flash a fine header past keeper Horne.

The goal must have been hard for Horne take after his superb performance.

Boro, eager to please on their return to the Second Division, had fallen behind to a cracking low drive by Sheringham, Millwall’s top goalscorer last season.

But their efforts to get level had been frustrated as Horne pulled off four sparkling saves from Slaven (twice), Stephens and Parkinson.

As for Sheringham, he was clearly determined outshine Millwall's new signings Cascarino and Lawrence. He even wore an eye catching line in blue footwear!

Lions Roar at the Boro
A STRENGTHENED Millwall side stormed into first-half lead at Middlesbrough with a classic 27th minute scorcher.

The big-spending Londoners sported new boys Lawrence and Cascarino in the front line, but it was local lad Teddy Sheringham who showed them the way.

Dave Byrne's cross eluded Boro's defence and last season's top Millwall scorer Sheringham cracked a drive into the top corner the net.

After the break the Boro side who are returning to the Second division were much sharper.

Teddy's Flying Start
Teddy Sheringham, Millwall's top scorer last season, made the Lion's 500 mile odd round trip to Middlesbrough worthwhile.

The former England youth international saw his 28th minute shot deflected low into the net-a memorable goal against a side that registered 32 shut-outs last season.

Even so, Middlesbrough deserved veteran Archie Stephens late equaliser.

Middlesbrough 1 Millwall 1
Millwall manager John Docherty must have been pleased with the fighting spirit of his side against the Second division new boys.

It is never an easy task to face a promoted side on opening day, particularly 250 miles away from home, but Millwall accepted the challenge.

Millwall controlled the first half and took a 28th-minute lead through Teddy Sheringham against a side that kept 32 clean sheets last season.

Sheringham was not overawed in the presence of new signings Tony Cascarino and George Lawrence.

He was on the spot to take advantage of lapse. The fact that the shot was deflected off Middlesbrough's Tony Mowbray did not dampen Millwall's jubilation.

Middlesbrough stormed back after the break, with Millwall 'keeper Brian Horne winning applause for fine saves.

Millwall's all-action midfield player TerryHurlock was booked in the 55th.

Middlesbrough snatched the equaliser with a classic header by 33 year old Archie Stephens, determined to silence his critics.

The home side went flat out for a late winner, but Millwall defended well and fully deserved their point.

Millwall supporters enjoyed the day and were well-behaved despite provocative taunts by a section of the home crowd.

Middlesbrough. Pears, Glover, Cooper, Mowbray, Parkinson, Pailister, Slaven, Stephens, Hamilton, Kerr, Ripley. Subs (not used) Kernaghan, Proudlock.

Millwall: Horne, Stevens, Sparham, Hurlock, Walker, McLeary, Lawrence, Mehmet (Briley, 28 min), Sheringham, Cascarino, Byrne Sub: Morgan.

Ref: T. Fitzharris, Att: 11,535.

Home 1987/88 Previous Next
  The Millwall History Files    The Millwall Story since the early 1980's         [Home]  [Contents]  [Links]   [Search]