Millwall Badges:

(a) The single rampant Lion used from 1978 but sometimes replaced by (b) the comparatively poorly drawn single rampant Lion, such as used on the Centenary badge in 1985.

As the cost of replica shirts increased the quality of the badge seemed to decrease. 

The replica 1991/1992 Spall top (13) has a very nasty plastic Lion.

(e) In 1992 Bukta (11) became Millwall's kit supplier and produced a new badge which was to served for two seasons. The single rampant Lion was contained within a roundel spelling out the club's name.

The Lion Roars got to the bottom of this story: To combat merchandise piracy, Millwall attempted to have the old badge registered as a trademark. However they did not know who the original artist of the badge was and were therefore unable to register it. They then commissioned a revised graphic containing the words Millwall FC which could be copyrighted.

The Lion Roars were contacted by John Mulcreevy who told them that he was certain the Lion came from 'The Lion Comic' and was drawn by Geoff Campion.


The original rampant Lion from The Lion Comic

(d) & (f) In 1994 Asics became the official kit supplier and produced two truly awful badges.

(c) In 1999 Millwall reintroduced the Badge used in the Sixties and early Seventies.


Millwall Kits:

(1) 1987/89 Spall: Blue shirt with diagonal shadow stripes, White shorts and Blue Socks.

(2) 1980/81 Osca: A lighter shade of  Blue  shirt, White shorts and Blue socks.

(3) 1984/85 Osca: Blue shirts with White sleeves and White pinstripes, White shorts and Blue socks.

(5) 1999/2001 Strike Force: All White kit. Millwall site nostalgia as they revert to an all White kit first used in the late 1960's (4).  

(6a) 1986/87 Spall: Blue shirts with White sleeves, White shorts and Blue socks. Particularly appealing kit with sponsors logo including a  Tower bridge logo.

(6b) 1986/87 Spall: All White third kit behind normal Red away kit. 

(7) 1985/86 Gimer: Dark Blue Shirt with White horizontal band, White Shorts and Blue socks. Gimer were an unknown kit supplier who did not manage to supply any replica kits for sale. The club produce a handful of unbranded shirts for sale by the end of the season.

(8) 1996/97Asics: Blue shirts, White shorts and Blue socks. 

(9) 1994/96 Asics: Blue shirts with White sleeves and Blue shorts and Blue socks with White trim.

(10) 2000/2001 Strike Force Millennium away kit: All Blue Kit with White trim.

(11) 1992/93 Bukta: Blue shirt with White bands of varying widths, Blue shorts and Blue socks with White trim. (White shorts worn early in the season)

(12) 1989/90 Spall: Blue shirt, White socks and Blue socks with White trim.

(13) 1990/92 Spall: Blue shirt, White socks and Blue socks with White trim. This kit was worn over two seasons with two different sponsors, first Lewisham Council in 1990/91 then Fairview Homes in 1991/92.

(14) 1993/94 Bukta: Blue shirt with White pinstripes, White socks and Blue socks with White trim.

  Possible inspiration for the Lion Comic Artist

In the regimental museum of the 1st Queen's Dragoon Guards inside Cardiff Castle is a print of a watercolour of two mounted troopers from 1812 outside a pub called the red Lion and the pub sign has a very familiar Lion

The above graphic shows the 1) traditional Red Lion sign, 2) The Red Lion Silhouette in the 1812 2nd Dragoon Guards painting, 3) The Rampant Lion from the Lion Comic and 4) The Millwall Lion from the 1980's.

It has entered into myth that Millwall chose the Lion badge because of its founders Scottish origins. They is not really true because Millwall were known as the Dockers until around the turn of the century when things African came into vogue due to the Boer war.

Below is an explanation of the origins and why the Red Lion became a regular pub name and why it is sometimes confused with the Scottish heraldic Lion.

The Red Lion sign was once easily the most common sign in the country. Indeed, in 1986 there were over 600 Red Lions pubs in Great Britain. However, the number is slowly decreasing as pubs close and others are renamed with more contemporary titles. The sign evolved because of John of Gaunt who, during the fourteenth century, was the most powerful man in the England. Born in Ghent in 1340, he was Duke of Lancaster and fourth son of Edward III. Gaunt is a corruption of his birthplace. In 1359 he married his cousin, Blanche of Lancaster, and was created duke in 1362. His wife died in 1369 and in 1372 he married Constance, daughter of Pedro the Cruel of Castile, and assumed the title King of Castile - though he failed by his expeditions to oust his rival, Henry of Trastamare. Before his father's death, he became the most influential personage in the realm and was thought to have ambitions for the crown. He opposed the clergy and protected Wycliffe. The young King Richard II, distrusting him, sent him in 1386 on another attempt to secure a treaty for the marriage of his daughter Catherine to the future King of Castile. After his return to England in 1389 he reconciled Richard to his (John's) brother, the Duke of Gloucester, and by Richard was made Duke of Aquitane and sent on several embassies to France. On his second wife's death, he had married in 1396 his mistress, Catherine Swynford by whom he had three sons, legitimated in 1397. Henry VIII descended from the eldest of these. However, he was not a competent general and he became increasingly unpopular amongst the ordinary people. When Wat Tyler led an insurrection in 1381 it was John of Gaunt's palace which was destroyed. He is mainly referred to in pub names by a reference to his badge.

In Scotland, the Red Lion is a heraldic reference because when James I (1566-1625 known as James VI in Scotland) came of age on the throne in 1583 he ordered that a heraldic red lion should be displayed in public places.


  The Millwall History Files    The Millwall Story since the early 1980's         [Home]  [Contents]  [Links]   [Search]