1984/85 Previous Next
Lions Hang On To Ace Cusack
By Brian Stater

GEORGE GRAHAM has slapped a 'hands off' notice on Millwall giant Dave Cusack.

Millwall manager has insisted that centre-half Cusack must stay at The Den, following speculation that Southend will name him as their new player-boss.

Graham told me, “If Southend or anyone else want Dave they will have to sent us a very fat cheque. He is under contract, and unless I get a very big offer he will stay with us.”

Twenty-eight-year-old Cusack denies all knowledge of Southend's alleged interest, which has been fuelled by rumours that World Cup hero Bobby Moore will leave the fourth division outfit.

Cusack, who was signed by Graham from Southend and still lives in the area, has twice demanded a move and is currently on the transfer list at The Den.

He has attracted interest from Doncaster and Plymouth, but seems resigned to staying at The Den in the short term. He said, “My main priority at the moment is performing as well as I can for Millwall.”

Cusack still has 12 months of his Contract to run, and I understand an offer of over £40,000 would be required before Graham would part with him.

Cusack is a key member of the side while Lindsay Smith is injured and though Cusack may make way for Smith when he is fit, Graham has long insisted that he wants to maintain a strong squad.

Meanwhile, Graham takes his side to Reading tonight for the opening leg of their Milk, Cup first round tie. He is likely to field the same side that beat Swansea 2-0 on Saturday and said, “They will be a tough side to beat on their home ground. But I think we can get a result there and I'm looking forward to bringing them back to The Den.”

Most of the club's injured men will be in reserve team action at home to Watford today.

Full-back Keith Stevens is close to shrugging off his knee injury and Smith and goalkeepers Peter Wells also play. Midfield men Anton Otulakowski and Les Briley finish their two match bans this week, and will be available for Saturday's Third Division trip to Cambridge.

Steve Lowndes is still not fully fit.

Cusack inline to be Southend Utd's Player Manager

Cusack: Tipped for the Southend Job
Sansome Sizzler

Reading 1, Millwall 1

A superb display from goalkeeper Paul Sansome and a half-time rollicking from manager George Graham kept Millwall's Milk Cup hopes alive at Reading on Wednesday.

The Lions looked likely to be on the end of mauling as Reading ran riot early in this first leg tie.

In a one sided first half, Reading rained in 10 attempts on the Millwall goal. But apart from being beaten by a 13th minute header from Ken Price, Sansome remained defiant and Graham was quick to pay tribute, saying, “That was the best game I've seen Paul play.”

After an interval outburst from Graham, the Lions fought back to start level in the return leg at the Den on Tuesday.

More positive

“I had a go at them at half-time,” admitted Graham. “Much of what I said is unrepeatable, but I soon sorted out the problems.” “I was very disappointed with our attitude in the first half. We surrendered territory far too easily and it was almost as if we were apologising for being out there. But we were much more positive in the second period.”

With captain Steve Lovell behind many of their moves, Millwall showed far more ideas going forward and leveled through Dean Neal in the 65th minute

Millwall had Dave Cusack and Bill Roffey booked for wild challenges in the closing minutes.

Dean Neal Equaliser

The Equaliser: Dean Neal

Millwall: Sansome, Nutton, Roffey, McLeary, Martin, Cusack, Lovell, Bremner, Neal, Chatterton, Kinsella. Sub: Lowndes
Ref K Barratt    Att: 3,771
Switched-off lout
By Graham Baker (The Mirror)

Reading 1 -1 Millwall

Reading officials last night had to combat a new weapon in the armoury of football hooligans...a microphone.

The problem arose when the mike ended up in the hands of a terrace lout. He twice shouted a string of foul and abusive words before the mic was taken from him.

The incident could easily have inflamed a tense situation in this Milk Cup first-round tie. Millwall fans were baiting Steve Richardson, Reading's coloured right back.
Soccer Fans Fight Terror
The story the National Press Missed

A soccer fan was seriously injured when he was hit over the head with a brick and kicked in the face.

The incident happened during trouble after Millwall's game at Elm Park, Reading, last Wednesday.

Police have only just been told about the incident and are appealing for witnesses. The victim, Patrick O'Reilly, of Portman Buildings, Pomeroy Street, New Cross, was taken away by relatives after the attack, and later admitted to King's College Hospital, Camberwell

Mr O'Reilly (35), suffered a broken jaw, and a broken cheek bone but has now been released. He left the Elm Park ground at 9.10 p.m. after the match and was with members of his family and friends when the attack happened.

lan Parsons (21) of Reading, suffered a fractured skull when a brick was thrown through his car windscreen. A Millwall fan is also reported to have been attacked by youths who were wielding baseball bats. This attack also happened near the ground and the victim needed 18 stitches to his wounds.

South London Press
From the Evening Standard

Millwall goalkeeper Paul Sansome kept his side's Milk Cup hopes alive with a splendid first half show.

Sansome defied Reading with several brilliant saves, although he could do nothing to prevent Ken Pice’s 13th minute goal, Reading were kept out for next 30 minutes.

Winger Dave Crown should have put Reading further ahead three minutes before the break but again Sansome came to the rescue.

Millwall fought their way into the game after the interval and Reading cracked after 65 minutes, Dean Neal driving the ball against goalkeeper Alan Judge, and then racing in to roll home the rebound.
Home 1984/85 Previous Next
  The Millwall History Files    The Millwall Story since the early 1980's         [Home]  [Contents]  [Links]   [Search]