Home 1984/85 Previous Next
Lions on the Rack
Newport County 3, Millwall 2

“Our worst performance so far this season.” That was the no nonsense verdict of disappointed Millwall, boss George Graham.

He refused to single out any players for individual criticism, but no doubt had a few private words with striker Dean Neal whose late miss finally let Newport off the hook.

Top scorer Neal, fired wide with only the Newport goalkeeper to beat.

Millwall recovered well from the shock of a second minute goal scored by midfielder Roy Carter and were back on terms seven minutes later.

Kevin Bremner, undoubtedly on the day the best of the Millwall attackers, jumped magnificently to head home a free-kick from Briley.

Newport, looking very sharp, with on loan striker Steve Cooper winning a lot in the air, regained the lead after 37 minutes with a stupendous 30 yard effort by Kevin Kent.

Millwall levelled with an equally good long range shot from Nicky Chatterton. Skipper Terry Boyle gave Newport the points after 65 minutes.

Millwall: Sansome, Stevens, Roffey, Briley, Nutton, Cusack, Lovell, Bremner, Neal, Chatterton, Otulakowski. Sub Lowndes
Lions hit a Low
Newport 3 Millwall 2

Millwall found struggling Newport too much for them at Somerton Park on Saturday.

And their performance's brought a lashing from manager George Graham.

“We did not deserve even a point. That was probably our worst performance of the season”, he said.

“If we are going to think about promotion then we going to have to beat sides like Newport.”

“The only excuse I can make is that we were tired after the Chelsea match. We took the game to Newport n the second half, but in the first we were awful.”

Graham picked out midfield man Nicky Chatterton as his team's best player, and in truth he was the only who really stood out.

He pulled Millwall back to 2-2 with a scorcher of a shot from 30 yards after 59 minutes, after Newport's Kevin Kent had made it 2-1 with an equally spectacular effort after 38 minutes.

Roy Carter put Newport 1-0 ahead as early as the third minute, but a curling free kick from Les Briley six minutes later fooled goal keeper Mark Kendall and allowed Kevin Bremner in to head home.

Millwall were able to hold on at 2-2 for only seven minutes. Terry Boyle hit Newport's winner in a crowded penalty area.

NEWPORT: Kendall, Jones, Matthewson, Pullis, Saxby, Boyle, Reid, Carter, Kent, Cooper, Williams (Green, 68 mins).

MILLWALL: Sansome, Stevens, Roffey, Briley, Nutton, Cusack, Lovell, Bremner, Neal, Chatterton, Otulakowski (Lowndes, 70 mins)

Ref: Paul Vanes (Warley). Att: 2,507
Home 1984/85 Previous Next
  The Millwall History Files    The Millwall Story since the early 1980's         [Home]  [Contents]  [Links]   [Search]