1984/85 Previous Next
Terrace Terror
by Lesley Johnson

POLICE arrested 48 football fans when fighting broke out before and after the Chelsea v Millwall Milk Cup match on Wednesday.

Six Police were taken to hospital after scuffles around Chelsea's ground, on Waterloo Bridge and at the Elephant and Castle.

The violence began at 4 pm when Millwall and Chelsea fans clashed at the Elephant and Castle.

PC Paul McKeever was attacked with a broken bottle by a Millwall fan, and was taken to St. Thomas' Hospital, Waterloo.

Further arrests were made and two police injured when street fighting erupted outside Chelsea 's ground at Stamford Bridge.

Six more arrests were made when, trouble broke out on Waterloo Bridge, as fans were making their way home.

One fan, John Dennis (17), of Basingstoke appeared at Camberwell Court yesterday charged with assaulting a police officer.

Several officers were caught up in the scuffles and some were injured. After the clashes at the stadium, police herded Millwall fans to the nearby Fulham Broadway tube station.

Scotland Yard was prepared for the trouble and had drafted in hundreds of extra officers.

Police make an Arrest

● You're Nicked: Police carry one of Wednesday night's trouble makers out of Stamford Bridge during the first-half outbreak of violence

Lions fight the thugs
by Brian Stater

Millwall’s peace plan for their Milk Cup showdown with Chelsea at he Den was revealed yesterday.

The club are working closely with Lewisham police to control what is certain to prove their biggest crowd in-six years.

Millwall are expecting an all-ticket gate of over 15,000 for the return leg of the second round clash on October 9.

Both club and police are anxious to avoid a repetition of the violence which marred Tuesday 's first leg game, which Millwall lost 3-1.

There was one outbreak inside Stamford Bridge, but the worst incidents occurred outside the ground and led to a total of 48 arrests.

Chief executive Tony Shaw explained, “The plan hinges on completely sealing off the two halves of the ground and ensuring that each set of supporters has clearly recognisable tickets.”

“Millwall fans will only be allowed in at the Cold Blow Lane end of the ground, and all the Chelsea supporters must enter at the Ilderton Road end.”

“Police will he able to check the tickets and know immediately which fans are which.”

Lewisham police had a team of observers at Tuesday's match and Supt Frank Wilkinson said, “We think we will be able to cope. The trouble at Chelsea was not of the extent that would cause us to alter our plans.”

Supt. Wilkinson refused to disclose the number of officers who will be on duty at the match, but the police operation is certain to be the biggest at The Den since Millwall’s 6-1 defeat by Ipswich in the FA Cup sixth round in 1978.

Meanwhile Lions manager George Graham is convinced his side can still go through to the third round draw. He said, “I was proud the way we fought back, and if we can pull goal back early in the match at The Den we'll have a great chance.”

Graham takes his side to Newport for a Third Division outing tomorrow, boosted by the news that central defender Lindsay Smith has returned to fitness. Smith came through Tuesday's reserve clash with Southampton after being side-lined with a gashed shin.

But midfield man Tony Kinsella will be out for another week.
Home 1984/85 Previous Next
  The Millwall History Files    The Millwall Story since the early 1980's         [Home]  [Contents]  [Links]   [Search]