Within a few years many railway lines followed,
some on earthen embankments, which were to dominate the environs
of Millwall's 5th & 6th home in New Cross and South Bermondsey.
first of these railways was The London ad Croydon Railway (L&CR)
which would branch off the L&GR at Corbetts Lane (Just
north of the site of the New Den) and run through New Cross mostly
along the route of the recently constructed Croydon Canal (opened
1809). The Canal rose 174 feet through 28 locks along its 9 ¼
mile length. The Canal was not a financial success and was
sold to the L&CR for £40,250 (around £3m in todays money) in
1836. It was a good job that bank notes had become legal tender as
£40,000 in gold coins may have required a large barge to carry
can be seen from the 1860's map above the area north of the
New Cross Road was rather rural, with the grounds of Hatcham House
and Market Garden including Cold Blow Farm.
Painting below, shows 5 Bell Lane (later renamed Hatcham Park
Road) as it crosses the Croydon Canal.